Why is My Engine Overheating?
An overheating engine can be pretty alarming—especially if it’s sudden. There are plenty of things that can cause an overheating issue in your engine, but it all boils down to your engine being unable to absorb, transport, and dissipate heat properly. Why is my engine overheating? The specific answer varies from car to car and situation to situation, but spotting the issue is probably easier than you think. Take a look at the causes of overheating—and when it’s time to see a qualified mechanic.
Causes of Overheating
There are a lot of reasons that your engine can overheat, but there are a few that pop up time and again in many different types of vehicles. See if some of these symptoms sound similar to what you are experiencing with your own vehicle:
- The most common cause of engines overheating is a leak in the cooling system. There are lots of places in the cooling system that could leak. Try doing a pressure test. If the system can’t hold pressure for at least one minute, then you’ve likely got a leak on your hands.
- You may have a coolant issue. If you’re using the wrong type of coolant or the wrong mixture of coolant and distilled water, then this could be the reason for your overheating issue. Try flushing and refilling to see if it remedies the problem.
- A broken water pump can cause widespread cooling issues. If the water pump isn’t performing at its best, then it can cause serious problems.
- Loose or broken belts in the cooling system can cause poor coolant flow and subsequent overheating.
- Hoses that are worn or burst can cause leaks and coolant flow problems throughout the engine.
- A faulty radiator fan can prevent effective temperature reduction and can cause overheating.
- If rust, dirt, or debris is blocking any spot in the coolant system, overheating can result. A flush and fill can remove the blockage.
- A broken radiator or one that has leaks or clogs can damage the function of the cooling system.
- If your thermostat has become non-functional, the system won’t be able to moderate itself and can become overheated.
Get Overheating Issued Fixed Today!
Don’t trust critical issues like overheating to just anyone. We are here to solve your question: “why is my engine overheating?” Come see the expert technicians at Tamaroff Nissan’s service center. Our comfortable waiting area is supremely convenient, while our work and customer service is efficient, fast, friendly, and affordable. Contact us now to learn more or schedule an appointment.